Basic knowledge of Infrared Laser
Infrared laser projects invisible light beam to human eyes, which exists widely in advanced military targeting devices, law enforcement, power weapons, and modern medical equipment etc. Infrared light stands outside the visible red light, which ranges wavelength among 0.76μm~1000μm.
Infrared laser are always divided into three types on basis of wavelength:
● Near infrared laser: wavelength range from 0.75~3μm.
● Middle infrared laser: wavelength range from 3~6μm.
● Far infrared laser: wavelength range from 6~1000μm.
Infrared laser technology has got great development in early twentieth century. Scientists pioneered the application of infrared spectroscopy and precision radiological radiation. Infrared lasers are widely applied in infrared detection, infrared night vision in military infrared technology. With the constant development of modern and laser diode technology, the infrared technology has been developed rapidly in industry, agriculture, notion defense, health care, transportation etc. Infrared laser has become an indispensible part in practical use.
Featured characteristics of infrared laser:
1) Infrared laser is superior in strong environmental adaptability than visible light, which is especially applicable in night work and harsh weather conditions.
2) Featured by invisible beam to human eyes, infrared laser can easily hide, and get signals without reveal, being detected and disturbed by outside environment.
3) Infrared laser can detect object by temperature and emissivity difference between the target and the background the background infrared radiation characteristics. It is much easier to recognize and identify disguise target than visible lasers.
4) Infrared laser system is featured by portable size, light weight and low power. It is greatly applicable in precision guidance system.
Hazards of infrared lasers:
Infrared lasers are featured by high coherence and strong laser monochromatic, high power and energy laser light can be easily absorbed by human eyes temporarily. The infrared laser light can be easily focused on retina and formed images through eye refractive medium. Energy from a very low powered laser irradiation can cause injury of the cornea or retina temporarily.
Only skilled person or professional are allowed to operate infrared laser under special equipment. It is always a must to wear laser goggles to prevent radiation from powerful infrared light. Do be cautious all the time.